--------------- INFORMATION ---------------

Station-Drivers only receives 50% in advertising revenue and the rest from donations so that Station-Drivers survives. I thank some who regularly donate €1, €2, €5, €10, etc. to me and whom I thank enormously.
Thank you for your generosity and your support in continuing my passion and being able to share it.

Fdrsoft

ssd NVME USB drives Realtek RTL9210/RTL9220 Firmware Version 1.xx

Replied by Galixte on topic NVME USB drives Realtek RTL9210/RTL9220 Firmware Version 1.xx

Posted 8 months 2 weeks ago #1527
__
@ spike_V_sky
1. Yes, in minutes.
2. I always flash the USB enclosure controller firmware without an SSD inside. That's why I enabled this setting:
Code:
DIS_SHOW_EMPTY_DISK = 0x1
It displays the Sabrent EC-SNVE USB enclosure on Windows even when it's empty.
3. I think the “EN_U1U2” setting is related to SD cards. Probably for USB Hubs with SSD slots and SD card ports that use the Realtek RTL92xx chipset.
4. About your dump, the value "DISK_IPS_THRES" must be modified in minutes to be taken into account, the other values from your dump are correct.

@ wade7575
Yes, I'm willing to believe that it's always cheaper elsewhere. I bought this Sabrent EC-SNVE on AMZN because it allows me to use both SATA and PCIe NVMe. Its toggle opening is very useful in my day-to-day work (IT maintenance). Speeds are decent.
Also, a few days ago I ordered a faster USB enclosure that's just as practical to use (magnetic opening). I'll be posting a review on the subject concerned:  www.station-drivers.com/index.php/en-us/...ge-asmedia-asm2464pd
Last Edit:8 months 2 weeks ago by Galixte
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Galixte.

Please Connexion or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by wade7575 on topic NVME USB drives Realtek RTL9210/RTL9220 Firmware Version 1.xx

Posted 8 months 2 weeks ago #1528
If you want to try 2 really good enclosure's that are extremely easy to open and a re cheap try these 2.

This one use's a JMS583 controller.
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004694947176...n.179.16101802czSnrP

This one use's a RTL9210B controller.
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004963769541...n.172.880f18020bZq8Q

I use these cable's with all my enclosure's since I had a problem with my Unionsine and other enclosure's not liking my Solidigm 2TB ssd but for some reason they all like my Solidigm 1TB's,I don't know why but the stock cable's refuse to work with the Solidigm 2TB ssd's that I have but with these cable they work with everything flawlessly.

www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004852057867...n.129.16101802czSnrP
Last Edit:8 months 2 weeks ago by wade7575
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by wade7575.

Replied by Wolfspam on topic NVME USB drives Realtek RTL9210/RTL9220 Firmware Version 1.xx

Posted 8 months 2 weeks ago #1533

If you want to try 2 really good enclosure's that are extremely easy to open and a re cheap try these 2.

This one use's a JMS583 controller.
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004694947176...n.179.16101802czSnrP

This one use's a RTL9210B controller.
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004963769541...n.172.880f18020bZq8Q

I use these cable's with all my enclosure's since I had a problem with my Unionsine and other enclosure's not liking my Solidigm 2TB ssd but for some reason they all like my Solidigm 1TB's,I don't know why but the stock cable's refuse to work with the Solidigm 2TB ssd's that I have but with these cable they work with everything flawlessly.

www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004852057867...n.129.16101802czSnrP

Better off with www.newegg.com/p/0VN-0003-001R5?Item=9SIA1DSBWX4083 Orico M2PV-C3-BK because those slide cover ones are a common shoddy design, after all how is the heat pad going to touch the chips if the cover has to slide on, it would smear, so usually they don't bother. The m2pv has a heatsink cover that screws down as one would expect. And yes this uses rtl9210. The 2 dollars difference isnt' worth a junk design.

Replied by wade7575 on topic NVME USB drives Realtek RTL9210/RTL9220 Firmware Version 1.xx

Posted 8 months 2 weeks ago #1537
I can see your point about heat if that's your going to be using hard and transferring large files at 750mb for a really longtime,I know a few people who have them to play video's with and they are just above room temp and not even close when you slide it open.

The boards on the ones that you are calling shoddy are made by a company called Unionsine and they also make enclosure's for Orico,I read an article in a Chinese forum when I was searching for newer firmware for my RTL9210B enclosure I had and it was a news article showing Unionsine and all the different stuff they make and in the background you could see box's with the name Orico on them and the Unionsine company also makes the enclosure's your calling shoddy.

If you look at this link it is a rebranded Unionsine or HIKSEMI enclosure for Orico and the and all they did was change the outside a bit and the led location to the back of the enclosure.
www.newegg.com/p/0VN-0003-00251?Item=9SI...SIA1DSJGY9566-_--_-2

Please don't think I'm trying to argue with you or start a fight,but with Orico they are a company based out of China and if Unionsine is making the enclosure's your calling shoddy plus the Orico stuff then Orico must be pretty shoddy as well.

I know a guy who does a lot of video reencoding and use's one of the enclosure's that are red and black and after his has been used for along time you can open the enclosure and the ssd is not screaming hot,I also tested my cheap red and black enclosure after putting in 1.85TB into a 2TB ssd with the enclosure closed and my ssd was warm but not hot or anything to be alarmed with.

I have seen people claim that running the thermal material made their ssd run hotter not cooler.

Myself personally I refer the Unionsine or HIKSEMI enclosure's because they are all aluminum and more durable if you need to throw one into your pocket and for me seeing that I building and do house calls fixing pc's I want something durable and that works well and has a good chip like the RTL9210B.

Replied by Wolfspam on topic NVME USB drives Realtek RTL9210/RTL9220 Firmware Version 1.xx

Posted 8 months 2 weeks ago #1538

I can see your point about heat if that's your going to be using hard and transferring large files at 750mb for a really longtime,I know a few people who have them to play video's with and they are just above room temp and not even close when you slide it open.

The boards on the ones that you are calling shoddy are made by a company called Unionsine and they also make enclosure's for Orico,I read an article in a Chinese forum when I was searching for newer firmware for my RTL9210B enclosure I had and it was a news article showing Unionsine and all the different stuff they make and in the background you could see box's with the name Orico on them and the Unionsine company also makes the enclosure's your calling shoddy.

If you look at this link it is a rebranded Unionsine or HIKSEMI enclosure for Orico and the and all they did was change the outside a bit and the led location to the back of the enclosure.
www.newegg.com/p/0VN-0003-00251?Item=9SI...SIA1DSJGY9566-_--_-2

Please don't think I'm trying to argue with you or start a fight,but with Orico they are a company based out of China and if Unionsine is making the enclosure's your calling shoddy plus the Orico stuff then Orico must be pretty shoddy as well.

I know a guy who does a lot of video reencoding and use's one of the enclosure's that are red and black and after his has been used for along time you can open the enclosure and the ssd is not screaming hot,I also tested my cheap red and black enclosure after putting in 1.85TB into a 2TB ssd with the enclosure closed and my ssd was warm but not hot or anything to be alarmed with.

I have seen people claim that running the thermal material made their ssd run hotter not cooler.

Myself personally I refer the Unionsine or HIKSEMI enclosure's because they are all aluminum and more durable if you need to throw one into your pocket and for me seeing that I building and do house calls fixing pc's I want something durable and that works well and has a good chip like the RTL9210B.

Its shoddy design regardless of brand.  I specified the model because even Orico sells other ones with slide covers with the same flaw.  The clear case with the aluminum pseudo inlayed heatsink is the worst offender as it slides instead of screws down, deceptive as one cannot slide and retain thermal pad material, I only fixed it by force snapping it together using extra thermal pad material, and there are rounded models more similar to what you listed, no heat transfer to outside air.  I know they are all made in china, my other enclosures orico/yottamaster/xcellon etc just look like rebrands of the same item, product of contract manufacture.

Issue is aliexpress enclosures you listed are hardly cheaper, slow boat from china shipping for an inferior design, if it were half price perhaps there would be an argument, but its 2-3 dollars for less cooling and future drive compatibility.

Thermal material works unless it has no contact from poor design, and worse if the heatsink has no contact with outside air.  Only situation where the temperature would rise is the hot memory is transfering heat to the controller, but if you ignore this it just means you are cooking the memory instead, yes I know its less sensitive, but cooling isn't going to happen without transfer to air.

Aluminum is nice but what is the point if it misses the point of conducting heat.  Cases without contact are like a aluminum computer case without a cpu heatsink.  The protection from a shell is so situational I wouldn't consider it, if something crushes your pocket hard enough to snap a case the last thing you are worrying about is the flash drive.  The weak spot on these is the usb connector, not the case, and rugged cases are an entirely different price and product segment.  
Last Edit:8 months 2 weeks ago by Wolfspam
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Wolfspam.

Time to create page: 0.701 seconds