utilitie Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/AMT) Version 2331.5.20.0

• Tom
  • Tom's Avatar Offline
  • Super Utilisateur
  • Super Utilisateur
    Enregistré

Replied by Tom on topic Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/AMT) Version 2331.5.20.0

Posted 6 months 4 weeks ago #1780
Ok, there are several things in your posts which need clarification
1. I would never install a driver by right-click on the inf-file, because as you experienced, the driver is installed in the system, but it is not used, because a newer driver is already installed.
2. 2318.4.3.0 is newer than 2316.5.0.0. The major version number (2318) is important.
Forget the number after the major number.
3. In the case you described you see also that 2318 has a newer driver date (May 4, 2023) than v2316 (April 18, 2023).
So driver version and driver date of v2318 are newer than v2316, so of course they have a higher driver ranking.
Intel is pretty inconsistent with version numbering, especially with MEI/AMT drivers.
It could be related that different teams work on different components (+FW Team) and therefore the packages carry different driver versions for the different components when they are submitted to Microsoft WHQL and released to Microsoft update..
I personally have in the moment 5(!) package folders of MEI/AMT drivers on my external HDD, partly due the inconsistency of Intel and no time to compare and clean up.

Cheers
Tom

by Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: admin, grimson, duttyend

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by grimson on topic Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/AMT) Version 2331.5.20.0

Posted 6 months 4 weeks ago #1782

Ok, there are several things in your posts which need clarification
1. I would never install a driver by right-click on the inf-file, because as you experienced, the driver is installed in the system, but it is not used, because a newer driver is already installed.

True, but that's why I use the right click, the driver will always be added to the driverstore but only activated when according to driver ranking when newer than the currently active driver.
So if not newer I can eventually tidy up the driver store with tools like 'Driver Store Explorer'. This way I'm almost always sure that the Windows Driver ranking does it's job to find the latest driver (and it does ;))

2. 2318.4.3.0 is newer than 2316.5.0.0. The major version number (2318) is important.
Forget the number after the major number.
3. In the case you described you see also that 2318 has a newer driver date (May 4, 2023) than v2316 (April 18, 2023).
So driver version and driver date of v2318 are newer than v2316, so of course they have a higher driver ranking.

Thanks for posting your findings, just like I was thinking about the driver versioning ambiguity. The reason I posted this question is because the latest station-drivers posted MEI/AMT bundle does contain the v2316 (April 18, 2023) version, the 'older' one according to 'our' logic.

Intel is pretty inconsistent with version numbering, especially with MEI/AMT drivers.
It could be related that different teams work on different components (+FW Team) and therefore the packages carry different driver versions for the different components when they are submitted to Microsoft WHQL and released to Microsoft update..
I personally have in the moment 5(!) package folders of MEI/AMT drivers on my external HDD, partly due the inconsistency of Intel and no time to compare and clean up.

Cheers
Tom

Thanks again for chiming in, also again just trying to find like anyone I guess with the Intel drivers the 'latest one' but bitten by their somehow weird versioning scheme.
Last Edit:6 months 4 weeks ago by grimson
Last edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by grimson.

Replied by SM-003 on topic Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/AMT) Version 2331.5.20.0

Posted 6 months 4 weeks ago #1783
@ grimson
WMI (MEWMIProv.inf) = 2318.4.3.0
MEI Driver (heci.inf)= 2316.5.0.0

you got confused in between. WMI is one of the Software Component under Intel MEI package
Last Edit:6 months 4 weeks ago by SM-003
Last edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by SM-003.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grimson, duttyend

• Tom
  • Tom's Avatar Offline
  • Super Utilisateur
  • Super Utilisateur
    Enregistré

Replied by Tom on topic Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/AMT) Version 2331.5.20.0

Posted 6 months 4 weeks ago #1785
Not really;
Intel MEI/AMT Package v2319.4.30.0:
MEWMIProv_REL (MEWMIProv.inf) v2318.4.3.0, dated May 4, 2023, WHQL: May 4, 2023
Intel MEI/AMT Package v2328.5.16.0
WMIProvider (MEWMIProv.inf) v2316.5.0.0, dated April 18, 2023, WHQL: May 8, 2023
Intel MEI/AMT Package v2331.5.20.0
MEWMIProv_REL (MEWMIProv.inf) v2316.5.0.0, dated April 18, 2023, WHQL: May 8, 2023
Did I mention that Intel is pretty inconsistent with driver releases and version numbering?

Cheers
Tom
by Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: grimson

Replied by grimson on topic Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/AMT) Version 2331.5.20.0

Posted 6 months 4 weeks ago #1786
Hi SM-003, thanks for replying.

My focus is specifically on the MEWMIProv.inf drivers obtained from the latest bundles:
Intel(R) Management Engine WMI Provider (MEWMIProv.inf)
DriverVer = 04/18/2023,2316.5.0.0 (older but very ambiguous due the '5.0.0' ending)
DriverVer = 05/04/2023,2318.4.3.0 (newer according to Windows Driver ranking, date and major version)
As Tom says and as I tried to explain in the opening post, the latest bundle seems to carry the 04/18/2023,2316.5.0.0 'older' version as we might conclude to the knowledge buildup in this thread.

Again, not to flame bait or disrespect station-drivers or any participant, I just wanted to point this ambiguity out. Thanks all for replying and keeping the discussion alive with your thoughts.
Last Edit:6 months 4 weeks ago by grimson
Last edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by grimson.

Time to create page: 0.817 seconds